Japan Photo Gallery

Tatsunosuke Ariizumi in Penang

Commander Tatsunosuke Ariizumi spent several years serving as the Navy General Staff's Senior Submarine Officer in Tokyo. In January 1944, however, Ariizumi returned to being a line officer when he assumed command of the I-8. Part of SubRon 8 (which shared Penang's port facilities with German u-boats), the I-8 was a Junsen-class Type 3 sub that soon struck terror in the hearts of merchant mariners operating in the region. Though it was Hitler who first urged Japan to massacre any Indian Ocean crews that survived Sixth Fleet torpedoes, Ariizumi was the sub captain who most aggressively implemented this policy. His reputation for ruthlessness caused his crew to nickname him the "gangster." It may also have helped pave the way for his being named squadron commander of the I-400 subs later that same year. Shown here in Penang, Ariizumi (center with mustache) is surrounded by what appears to be German u-boat personnel.

Atsushi Asamura

Lt. Atsushi Asamura was the most fearsome and dedicated pilot aboard the I-401. As Seiran Squadron Leader he supported the mission even if it meant making the ultimate sacrifice.

Nobukiyo Nanbu

Lt. Commander Nobukiyo Nambu was the commanding officer of the Sen-toku squadron's flagship sub, the I-401. Nambu was well-liked by his men because they knew he had their best interests at heart. Nevertheless, few of his crew expected to survive their mission.

Japanese postcard commemorating shelling of Ellwood oil field

Japanese postcard commemorating the I-17 shelling the Ellwood Storage Facility north of Santa Barbara, California on February 1942. Lt. Nambu served as the sub's Executive Officer and witnessed the attack.

Waiting for Bando

USS Segundo crew members wait on the sub's foredeck for the arrival of the I-401's Chief Navigator, Lt. Muneo Bando, to commence surrender negotiations.

Bando in raft

Lt. Muneo Bando of the I-401 arrives at the Segundo in a rubber raft. Bando is shown seated at the top of the picture wearing his Imperial Japanese Navy's officer cap.

i-400 crew on deck

Photo of captured I-400 sub in Tokyo Bay with crew lined up alongside her Seiran aircraft hangar. The presence of people on deck gives a good sense of the sub's tremendous size.

i-400 surrender

The bridge of the I-400 showing Commander Hiram Cassedy just right of center during the sub's surrender ceremony as her Asahi naval ensign is lowered and replaced by the U.S. stars and stripes.

Japanese sword

Imperial Japanese Navy sword taken by a USS Segundo crew member as war booty from the I-401.

i-401 barometer

Barometer taken from I-401 as war booty immediately following the sub's capture.

i-400 bridge compass

I-400 bridge compass "liberated" by a U.S. Prize Crew member following the sub's trip to Pearl Harbor.

Seiran data plate

A data plate from inside the I-400's aircraft hangar shows a schematic of the Seiran's heating system which warmed the aircraft's engine prior to the sub surfacing to help shorten launch time.

i-400 blueprints

During his five years of research, which included several trips to Japan, the author uncovered the only existing set of blueprints for the I-400 sub. All I-400 class blueprints had previously been thought destroyed.

Aviation Pins

Aviation insignia purportedly taken from an I-400 Seiran pilot as war booty sometime after the sub's capture.

Japanese Uniform Buttons

Imperial Japanese Navy uniform buttons allegedly taken from an I-400 officer by a U.S. Prize Crew member sometime after the sub's capture.

Toshio Kusaka

Commander Toshio Kusaka looks deeply unhappy during negotiations to surrender the I-400 to a U.S. Prize crew headed by Commander Hiram H. Cassedy (extreme left). It didn't help that Cassedy insisted on capturing the I-400 twice.

Inside aircraft hanger

September 1945: American captors shown standing inside the aircraft hangar on one of the I-400 subs while they were anchored in Tokyo Bay. Each hangar contained three Aichi M6A1 attack planes which were launched by catapult off the sub's foredeck.